[pmwiki-users] RSS and <content> tags

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 19 13:12:37 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 04:29:15PM -0500, Jon Haupt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> One thing about blog RSS feeds is they tend to include the entirety of
> posts using a <content> tag.  This is what allows people to read blogs
> from within news readers instead of having to visit the web site, and
> apparently also helps blog searching tools such as Technorati to index
> blogs.
>
> It seems like it ought to be easy to add the complete content of a
> post to an rss feed by using something like
>
> $FeedFmt['rss']['item']['content'] = '{$Text}';
>
> Except that $Text isn't available.  This and, it's unclear what $Text
> would look like.  The markup?  The HTML?  I really don't know.  Has
> this discussion already happened?

Partially.  I've been thinking about having an {$Excerpt} page
variable which provides an excerpt of an page -- i.e., it gives
the page description if one exists, or the first few paragraphs,
or the words surrounding any search terms if entered.

I've been thinking that {$Excerpt} should just return plain text
w/o any markups.

IIRC, it is possible to set $FeedFmt to call a function -- i.e.,

    $FeedFmt['rss']['item']['content'] = 'MyContent';

which then calls the MyContent() function to determine what
should be generated for the <content> tag.  This function could
then grab the page markup source, convert it to HTML, etc.