[pmwiki-users] email notification of page changes (watchlists)

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Sun Jun 18 09:27:15 CDT 2006

Pico said...
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > There's a plan for a 'watch this page' recipe, but I don't have an
> > estimated time frame for it.  The general idea is that there ought to
> > be a link that when activated automatically adds the current page
> > to the visitor's designated watchlist trail page.
> >
> > There are a number of places where having a core function to "add
> > content to an existing page" will be useful, so that will probably
> > be introduced to the core fairly soon.  I just haven't completely
> > decided how that function should look yet.
>
> Yes, it would be great to be able to use that function for other
> purposes, as well.  Perhaps there could be a default setting for the
> designated page that could be overridden by the markup.
>
> For example, the default designated page could be based on the user's
> profile page with a default ending, e.g. Fred-Watchlist.
>
> If the markup allows authors to override the default, it would be good
> to allow authors to specify the new page by reference to the author's
> profile page.  Presumably, that could be done by simply specifying the
> new page using a variable, for example Profile.($Author)-NewPage

Yes, making the functionality extensible is a good idea. I have a
feeling that I will end up writing a front end for the user to manage
this information, so whether all the user-related info is on a single
profile page or an addition page - or an additional page per function
when it comes to that - is a design decision I'll watch with interest.

Frankly, the fact that we can even contemplate this kind of
extensibility from a wiki is testament to pmwiki's excellent design.

--
Best,
Marc