[pmwiki-users] Need help with Site/AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jun 14 23:33:11 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:20:18PM -0400, Jen Gagne wrote:
> Here's my setup... I'm not sure which version I'm running, but I just installed
> it the other day so it must be new-ish. (How do I find out my version, anyway?)
>
> In config.php, I set up the admin and attr passwords. These aren't the real
> values, just examples.
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = ('$1$Cuzw/XRe$RNKq3KAsaOXzyQgCaXrTw0');
> $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = ('$1$Cuzw/XRe$RNKq3KAsaOXzyQgCaXrTw0');
>
> I didn't set an 'edit' password since that would override my user accounts,
> right?

$DefaultPasswords['edit'] is used only when no other password
is specified for a page or group.  So, if you want to set a site-wide
edit password,  use $DefaultPasswords['edit'] to do it.

> Further down in config.php, I put:
> include_once("scripts/authuser.php");
> $Author = $AuthId;
>
> Then I edited this page,
> http://www.iamikon.com/pmwiki.php/Site/AuthUser
> ... to set up a list of user accounts based on the explanation there.

So far this is all correct.

> Here's an example entry:
>    JenGagne: $1$Cuzw/XRe$RNKq3KAsaOXzyQgCaXrTw0

If I'm reading this correctly, that would mean that the password
for JenGagne is the same as the 'admin' password that was set above.
That's not a problem, but it does mean that JenGagne is effectively
an admin and can obtain access to any page.

> Then I made myself part of the @cons group, like so:
>     @cons: StefanGagne, Twoflower, JenGagne

This looks okay also.

> But, whenever I try to test the login, it doesn't work. It says "Name/password
> not recognized"

Is there a 'read' password set for the site or on the Site.AuthUser page somehow?
It's not a problem if there is such a password, but it seems odd that
viewing Site.AuthUser is requesting a password.

> It DOES let me in if I use the global admin password, but that just sidesteps
> the issue, right?

Not as you've described it above, since it appears that the JenGagne
password is being set to the same password as the 'admin' password.
The real test would be if the passwords are different.

Hope this helps -- write back with more details.