[pmwiki-users] Authentication confusion

Vedvik, Gary Gary.Vedvik at xerox.com
Thu Jun 8 07:38:27 CDT 2006

Your scenario sounds nearly identical to mine. You'll likely need the
"domain\" part of the users authentication ID to properly handle an ldap
account lookup (e.g. Active Directory) in a multi-domain
forest/environment.  Without caring about the common name for the
account, I don't have any problems getting the Author field to contain
authentication ID in "domain\account" format.

With the recent addition of yet another authentication recipe, there are
now three different approaches (authuser, userauth, and now externauth).
It also seems there is some confusion about what php files to
"include_once", and what order to include them (and whether we need to
include a specific function call, e.g. Patrick's suggestion of
"AuthUserID($pagename, $AuthId);" in his original reply to my initial
note.

I have a suggestion that might help clear up some of the general
confusion over some of these authentication questions.  That suggestion
would be to create a wiki page called something like "Authentication
Scenarios" that reads more like a detailed FAQ and lists some of the
most common and/or asked about scenarios and what is needed to implement
them.

Even though userauth violates Patrick's original wiki design philosophy,
I still find the concept of userauth more intuitive because everything
is nicely consolidated to one page, which means we don't need to modify
the site.authuser page, then for each group and/or page to apply any
permissions to use "?action=attr" to make those permissions changes.

However, userauth is not without its faults, as it doesn't support
backslash characters (see my notation on the userauth devel. Page
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UserAuthDevel).  I'm sort of curious
how much effort might be required to resolve the backslash character
problem, and what it might take to add eternal account authentication
(either http-authentication, or direct ldap authentication) and have
that authenticated account be addable to groups on that page.

GaryV