[pmwiki-users] Is there a note plugin?

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Jun 7 16:16:11 CDT 2006

Little, Charles <Charles.Little2 <at> BellSouth.com> writes:

> [snip]
> > Where is (:markup:) defined?
> >

> (:markup:) just shows the code along with the effect in the page.  I
> think these markups are probably defined in some file, and that's what I
> want to get a hold of.  I've been doing this manually- this will save me
> mucho time!

If you are asking where in the php files is the markup directive defined, I
can't answer that, but if you are asking about the documentation, here is what I
can tell you:

The markup directive is *really* hard to search for; a search for "(:markup:)"
returns over 300 pages (because it is used in many pages and the search seems to
turn up its use in the underlying markup).

The old, no longer distributed, Directives page has a listing for (:markup:)
that simply stated:

(:markup:) ... (:markupend:)
Can be used for markup examples, showing first the markup and then the result of
the markup. see PmWiki.Text Formatting Rules for examples.

The MarkupMasterIndex, which should be an index to distributed documentation,
identifies no documentation page for the markup directive, lumps it together
with (:attachlist:) under "Other Directives" and provides the following examples:

(:markup:) [=...=]
(:markup:)...(:markupend:)
(:markup class=horiz:)...(:markupend:)
(:markup caption='...':)...(:markupend:)

So, where does the markup directive belong and what should we say about it?

The TextFormattingRules page has a section on Escape Sequence that discusses
[@...@] and [=...=] and, therefore, may provide a natural location for
documenting the markup directive
PmWiki/TextFormattingRules#EscapeSequence

The fact that markup is a directive, and that it used to be documented on a page
together with all other directives, may not be very helpful anymore, now that
those directives have been distributed to other pages.  I put together a listing
of those other pages at the top of the PmWiki/Directives page.  Feel free to
take a look at those, add to them, and suggest a better location for the markup
directive.

Pico