[pmwiki-users] self-registering for notification emails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 5 11:53:52 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:13:13AM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Américo Albuquerque <aalbuquerque at lanowar.sytes.net> wrote:
> > Using a local group or page config files works but you need to have
> > direct access to the webserver (ie, made by a webadmin). If it was also
> > possible by the action=attr then users or groups that had access to that
> > action could also set it.
>
> I'm not quite sure how you would implement the following, but there is
> a variable $PageAttributes
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/OtherVariables#PageAttributes
>
> The example given on that page is for adding a Source password to the
> ?action=attr form:
>
> Set the string showed on the attributes page when entering a password
> for an action.
>         #example for "source" action
>         $PageAttributes['passwdsource'] = "$['Set new source password']"
>
> I don't see any explanation of how or why 'passwdsource' means what it
> appears to mean to the pmwiki engine.

PmWiki uses the prefix 'passwd' on an attribute to indicate that
something is a password field and should be encrypted when saved to
disk.

The complete set of steps to add a separate "diff" password
to PmWiki would be:

    $PageAttributes['passwddiff'] = '$[Set new history password]';
    $DefaultPasswords['diff'] = '';
    $HandleAuth['diff'] = 'diff';
    $AuthCascade['diff'] = 'read';    ## or 'edit'

The first line adds a "history password" field to ?action=attr.
The second line indicates that 'diff' is a valid password, and
sets the site-wide diff password to no password.  The third
line tells ?action=diff that it's to use the 'diff' password
for authorization, and the last line says that if no 'diff'
password is set, use the 'read' password for the page.