[pmwiki-users] Upgrade concerns with Site.PageListTemplates

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jun 3 10:50:10 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:59:16PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> I have a few concerns with Site.PageListTemplates when
> it comes to upgrades.  Since this page is effectively
> code just like pmwiki.php, it greatly affects the way
> sites render.  This leads me to believe that great
> care should be taken with its content, almost to the
> point of having it controlled explicitly by Patrick so
> that he can ensure that [...]

All of the pages that are in the distribution are
controlled explicitly by me.  Just because a page
changes on pmwiki.org doesn't mean it automatically
appears that way in a distribution -- I have to
explicitly approve the new page into the distribution
as well.

I have a script that automates much of the release
process for PmWiki -- one of the first things this
script does is run through the pages in the svn
repository and tell me which ones differ from the pages
on pmwiki.org.  org.  For each page that is different, I
review the changes and update them as necessary, then I
have a choice of

  - accepting the new pmwiki.org page into the repository
  - removing the pmwiki.org page entirely (thus reverting
       to the distribution version)
  - postponing the decision until a later release
       (i.e., leaving the distribution version alone)

So, in general it's okay to leave pages editable on
pmwiki.org; they won't appear in a distribution until
after I've reviewed them and considered them in light
of PmWiki's other goals.

> There already is a Cookbook.PageListTemplateSamples
> and this is a great place to show case them.  If
> needed this page could include a core candidate and a
> voting section for the various templates.

I totally agree -- the Cookbook.PageListTemplateSamples
page is the place to showcase proposed templates.
For a sophisticated enough template it's also okay
to create a separate recipe for it.

> I also
> think that if templates are needed for the main pmwiki
> site, but the pages using them are not going to make
> it into the distro (say Cookbook pages) then these
> templates should be somewhere else and not on this
> page (this is just a thought, I don't know if there
> are actually any cases of this.)

As mentioned in
  http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-May/028061.html
the current plan is to have a Site.LocalTemplates page
where sites can add templates without affecting the
distributed Site.PagelistTemplates page.  We'll use
this for pmwiki.org-specific templates if we need them.

Thanks!