[pmwiki-users] Conventions at pmwiki.org (Was: Comments pages vs ...)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 07:13:27 CDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2006-05-31  09:27 AM -0500, Tegan Dowling is rumored to have said:
>> (:if exists {$Name}-Talk:)There is also a [[{$Name}-Talk |
>> discussion]] page used during the development of this {$Titlespaced}
>> page.(:ifend:)

Now I'd like to partly contradict myself and say that I'd like to see more
conventions used within PmWiki (and/or pmwiki.org). These conventions
would be there to help things look (and be!) more consistent, making the
site easier to use for casual users.

One convention already in use at pmwiki.org is placing something like

 	%audience% authors (basic)

at the top of each page to indicate the intended audience. The direct
consequence of this text is that it places a note at the top right side
indicating the indented reader. This is of course useful for someone
taking a quick look at the page.

An indirect consequence of the convention of placing the above markup on
each such documentation page, also allows us to list all those pages, eg
 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/ListBasicAudiencePages

We could similarly use a specific convention to give each page a
description. This description could be shown on each page, and also within
a list of pages. For instance being shown search results, or as a way to
help with making simple site maps.

Another convention would be keeping comments and/or discussion on a page
with a name that's derived through some convention (e.g {$Name}-Comments).

Are there other (informal) conventions already in place at pmwiki.org?

Maybe we should try and decide on some conventions and describe them on eg
PmWiki/Conventions?

/Christian