[pmwiki-users] Newbie Q. Creating my own pages (am I being silly?)

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 1 04:03:36 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:00:48AM -0400, locc2 wrote:
>
>> BUT what I have is the PMwiki documentation and startup pages - which I
>> can edit and add to etc. I can add new pages.  I can add groups. But I'm
>> missing (ie not understanding) how I start a new 'blank' wiki ! Surely I
>> don't delete and amend all the PMWiki stuff that's already there. Please
>> could somebody let me know how I start off a nice new empty blank wiki.
>>

> Most people tend to leave the PmWiki documentation in place
> (it doesn't hurt to have it there).

(snip)
> (One could remove the non-Site pages from wikilib.d/, but they'll
> be restored again upon upgrading so it's easier to do the above
> steps instead.)

   Even the sun has its spots ...  One of PmWiki's is its "rucksack" of
documents that increase the download size with some 100%.
   Documents, which are useful, but ... cause irritation at
1 - the very first use, as described by locc2 above [confusion]
2 - at each installation of new PmWiki sites [documentation no longer
needed]
3 - at each update [takes twice the time to upload to the server]
   As Pm wrightly notes above, deletion of wikilib.d is not a remedy.
And, if you keep it without continual update the documentation tends to
gradually become obsolete.
   I (still) fail to understand why it's not possible/pertinent to have
the documentation separated from the core, as a separate download - for
use if and when needed.