[pmwiki-users] Options to fix "Page TOC listing showing up center-aligned"

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Jul 31 19:59:41 CDT 2006

On Tuesday, 1 August 2006 10:58 AM, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 1 August 2006 10:21 AM, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
>>><snip>
>>
>>BY the way, I did find that the problem goes away if I use

>>!!Section Heading
>>
>>Instead of
>>
>>!!%center%Section Heading%%
>
>I suspect that the toc is picking up the %center% as part of the
>toc entry text, so is centering each item. That should be fixable.
>Could you look at the html for the toc items and see if they
>include a center alignment attribute?
>
>If this is the case, the fix will be to omit some (but maybe not all)
>style attributes. For example, what should the toc entry be for
>
>!!Here is an %red%important%% heading
>
>Should it omit the style? Currently, it will be included.

I have confirmed that the %center% is being picked up in the toc
and tested a fix that looks for and removes '%center%'.

However, I am of 2 minds about what the fix should be:

a) just remove %center% -- this has the advantage that other
   styles will be processed as part of the toc, but if there
   is one special case, there may be a need for more than one

b) remove %[^%]*% -- this has the advantage of treating all
   styles equally by stripping them out, but some authors may
   want to have some styles reflected in the toc

c) do nothing -- I don't think this is an option, as the
   centred toc text is pretty ugly

At the moment I lean to option a, but am keen to hear other
views either for or against. On principle, I don't really like
treating one style as a special case so am happy to be
convinced that the code should do something else.

Meanwhile, I will do nothing.

JR