[pmwiki-users] Suggested pagelist.php fix (formely Pagelist Extensions)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 11:24:38 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 11:44, Pico wrote:
> Also, on another topic, I thought about using pagelist templates for
> displaying an image gallery.  I was going to add a recipe, but when I
> searched the cookbook group I found your EasyGallery and because it was
> focused on using builtin functions, I decided that a discussion of
> pagelists should be added there and, so, I started drafting an initial
> draft.  It still needs to have an actual template example added, which
> I plan to do when I get a chance.

I have done this on my site http://www.theficks.name and so I am aware of the
issues, but the solutions that I have taken may not be appropriate for
everyone but I would like to pursue cleaning them up and documenting them
(which will come either on a wiki page or a followup email).

The reason I have not added them to EasyGallery is because I did not write
that recipe originally and I thought that it would be fair to the original
author to only put stuff there that used core mechanisms.  This having been
said, I do think that either that restriction can be lifted or this recipe
should simply be followed up with a more powerfull one which does use other
recipes but that still attempts to still do things in a wiki way (i.e. not
embedding a gallery).

This wiki way would end up being close to what I have and if I document it,
maybe others will help refine it and identify cleaner ways that are closer to
core mechanisms.  And if pieces eventually get merged into the core, they
could then be migrated to the EasyGallery recipe.  But also, maybe other
gallery recipes could be incorporate into this more powerfull recipe where
appropriate if they are structured as building blocks.

Would you have a good name for such an extended recipe besides
EasyGallery2? :)

> In that case, I think your reference to using
> a "real" gallery script should either be eliminated, or moved to the
> very end (or, possibly, the very start)

It's not my reference. :)  But I think it might be good to keep it or that a
larger image recipe guide should do this.

-Martin