[pmwiki-users] Custom markup for standardised table

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Jul 19 06:35:27 CDT 2006

Allister Jenks wrote:
> I'm trying to create a markup that will allow me to quickly created
> standardised tables in my pages as follows:
>
> (:CatStart:)
> (:CatLine id="xxx" desc="something" price="4.00":)
> (:CatLine id="yyy" desc="nothing" price="5.00":)
> (:CatEnd:)
[snip]
Sounds like an interesting project.  If the frustration level gets too
high, you might step back and consider how far you can get with exiting
markup.

Specifically, if you combine tables with pagelists, the structure of the
table can be defined in the pagelist template and the content can be
placed on structured pages in a group where, for example, the page name
is the id, the content is the price and the description is in a
description directive (or where each element appears on a designated
line, or where  anchors are used to separate element, which can then be
located anywhere on the page...)  With such structured pages, then you
can add categories and keywords, and/or manually create wikitrail lists,
that can be used to power pagelist directives that selectively populate
your tables.

Pico

P.S.  Apologies, in advance, if you already identified and rejected such
approaches, in which case, please consider this post as being for the
benefit of others who read your e-mail and are left with the impression
that a system for quickly creating standardized table for purposes such
as inventory and pricing lists might require coding custom markup.