[pmwiki-users] Line breaks in links: Why not allowed?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 17:13:26 CDT 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> At Sat, 1 Jul 2006 07:27:20 -0500,
> Tegan Dowling wrote:
>> Typically, a line-break terminates the kind of markup in which text is
>> bracketed with some kind of paired symbols, so this behavior is
>> consistent with other PmWiki behavior.
>
> This behavior sucks IMHO: For example, when editing PMwiki source code
> in EMACS, one cannot really use autofill mode because it does not know
> how to properly line-break PMwiki markup.  Furthermore, I don't see any
> advantage from a usability point of view, but maybe I am not aware of
> certain critical cases.

It might be that performance is improved by not matching links over
several lines, or it might be that it's related to the order in which
markup is processed.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you are using pmwiki-mode for Emacs?

It's been a while since I worked on it, but I think the 'long-lines'
extension partially helps you with the problem of autofill.

Ideally I'd like to fix pmwiki-mode so that autofill behaves better in
terms of pmwiki syntax, but unfortunatel I don't know how autofill works -
or how to modify it's behaviour. However, if you figure out it should be
modified I can change pmwiki-mode accordingly.

regards
/Christian