[pmwiki-users] Stand alone server capability?

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Thu Jul 13 07:56:31 CDT 2006

mike moller wrote:
[snip]
> However I could do with some wise guidance on a new project that's under
> consideration. It's a re-implementation and enhancement of an existing
> Database application that's used on a stand alone basis. My thoughts
> have gone to PmWiki to provide the GUI level (just love the flexibility
> of the markup schemes :-) and putting the Database into MySQL...

I'm in the same position and would be interested in hearing about your
experiences.

> The question I have is, given that finished application is for
> single-user stand-alone use is it viable to host it using the
> development server that's available for PmWiki? or are that cut down
> server's limitations such that I would be blocked at some fundamental
> level from being able to reach out from its PmWiki to reach a MySQL
> database?

I don't have the answer for you, but I wanted to pass along another
resource for running standalone.  Take a look at Dom's WebOnKey
configuration for running a Win32 Apache2, PHP enabled webserver on a
usb key (or read-only media).

http://dominique.faure.1.free.fr:80/pmwiki.php

Pico