[pmwiki-users] Default styling of links to non-existent pages

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:35:15 CST 2006

2006/1/27, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>:
> Before leaving the 2.1.beta series, I'd like to visit the
> possibility of changing the default styling of links to
> non-existent pages, but could use feedback.
>
> Currently PmWiki automatically styles links to non-existent pages
> by placing a question mark after the link and a dotted underline
> beneath it.  This choice was settled upon after many discussions
> in August of 2004.
>
> Currently the link styling is built-in to the PmWiki core itself;
> i.e., it's the default unless a skin redefines it.  Skin designers
> will tell you that it can be a bit of a pain to override.
>
> I'm curious to know if we should change this, and if so, how.
> I can think of ways where it might be nice to eliminate the
> question mark that appears, and use some other form of styling
> besides the dotted underlining.  I notice that many other
> systems have gone to simply highlighting the link with a different
> color.
>
> Any comments/suggestions on this?

I would love having just a set of ...Fmt variables (more surely an
array) to overload in my skins to handle all the cases:

1+2: Link to page, present or not,
3+4: Link to attachment, present or not,
5: Link to external site.

For the last case (5), an other nice feature would be to allow
customization per intermap entries. This could help to provide a more
visual topic-dedicated  linking system.

Just my 2 c.
Dom