[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 26 16:03:10 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:36:24PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd say all my thoughts are pretty well covered and I'd say Hagan sums
> > it up all nicely.
>
> The crux of it is conditional markup for testing if a group exists.
>
>     (:if [a group with this name exists]:)
>
> Is it possible, Pm?  If not, can it be made possible?

I was thinking about exactly this item when I woke up this morning --
with the new wildcard handler in place I'm thinking we can have
an (:if exists <pagename>:) conditional that also understands
wildcards:

    (:if exists Group.SomePage:)    -- true if Group.SomePage exists
    (:if exists Group.* :)          -- true if any pages in Group

The first test is very fast, because it can look immediately for
a known pagename.  The wildcard version will often be a fair bit
slower because it requires scanning all of the page directories...
but at least it would work.  Besides, this would normally be done
only for missing pages, which is fairly rare anyway.