[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org seems slow today btw

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 26 13:09:52 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:47:11PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:38:22PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > > pmwiki.org seems slow today btw
> >
> > Yes, I've noticed this from time to time over the past couple of weeks.
> > There's some sort of administrative or background process that keeps
> > running on my server and eating all of the resources.  When that happens
> > the server load spikes way up and takes about 15-20 minutes to normalize
> > again.  :-(
> >
> > I haven't been able to track down the offending process, or exactly
> > why/when it's occurring.  But I'm keeping an eye on it.

Well, I found at least part of the problem today -- requests
for the Cookbook.PostItNotes page on pmwiki.org were taking
a *huge* amount of time to process.  As a result, whenever
someone or a robot visited that page, it started eating up
all of the CPU time.  (Worse, sometimes a person would hit
the "stop" button and then re-issue the request, which meant
that there were two or more of these running.)

I'm not sure what was causing that page to take so long
to render.  For the moment I've just disabled the recipe
on pmwiki.org, I don't have a lot of time to spare to see
if the newer version has similar problems.

I do know that the recipe appears to be using PHP's
in_array() function, which in my experience is really
really really slow.