[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 25 16:06:22 CST 2006

[...continued]

Another Question:  As administrators, how should we classify
missing-page targets?  I can think of at least two important ways:

* Visitor has edit privileges or not (important for a CMS-type installations).
* Link is qualified or not.  That is, the link is group+page
(?n=SomeGroup.MissingPage) or not (?n=Something).

The first one can be accomplished by swapping PageNotFound pages
according to whether the visitor is logged in or not.

Let me get the CMS-type behavior out of the way...

Going to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/MissingPage used to show

     Describe MissingPage here.

That message is completely wrong for a non-author visitor in a
CMS-type installation.  See
http://qdig.sourceforge.net/Main/MissingPage for an example.  I'd
rather it say, at minimum.

    Page not found.

or, if the page has existed but has been deleted, produce a 410 (Gone) error:

    Page no longer exists on this server.

The wording may be slightly different (Christian would no doubt want
to include a SiteMap below the message :-) ), but the point is: For
CMS-type installations all that's needed is a way to let the visitor
know they're in the wrong place.

[continued...]

Hagan