[pmwiki-users] Totally Perplexed by Farming and Fields...

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 04:49:22 CST 2006

Monday, January 23, 2006, 6:13:11 AM, gdb wrote:
> In the meantime, I worked with the beta version, and started running into some
> issues / limitations.  Chief amongst these were the limitation(s) on
> the number
> of (:include :) directives that can be used on a page.  I've been converting
> nearly five years of blog / journal articles, from multiple web sites, and
> posting them into a signle group in the wiki.  This caused issues where I
> needed to split index pages, and split wiki-trail indexes, etc. ....

Manually stitching pages together with multiple (:include :) markups
seems to be a lot of work.

Just recently in the pmwiki 2.1 beta series the pagelist markup has
received huge improvements, and it is now possible to create custom
formats for it quite painlessly, by editing template pages. This makes
it possible to create for instance a blog homepage with a pagelist markup,
which will list a number of blog entry pages automatically, including
them whole or partly, limiting the number of pages listed to a number
you specify, ordering them by creation date or some other way etc.
You can find more info on the use of pagelist markup for blogs here
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BlogWithPageList
and also an experimental blog bundle here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BlogSimple

I have this as a working experimental blog on my site here;
http://softflow.co.uk/Blog/Blog
and I explained the whole setup there.

Note that Pm plans to have more specific blogging tools added to
pmwiki very soon, which will add the possibility to have blog trail
pages generated automatically, thus making it possible to add rss
feeds to the blog.

> - Will search work across multiple fields?
> - If it will, can I restrict which fields the search will work with?
> - Will categories work across multiple fields?
> - Can I restrict the categories to work within a specific field if deisred?

The answer is No to these questions. I think it is better for you to
use Wiki Groups, and customize each group as desired, including
special customized SideBars if needed.

You can for instance use a sitewide SideBar Site.SideBar, then use in
various groups custom sidebars Group.SideBar, which can make use of
pagelist markup to provide indexes, and also can include the
Site.SideBar with an (:include Site.SideBar:).
This will give you "dynamic" sidebars, which change automatically as
your pages are changing.

> I know I am  trying to
> work with things in quite a different way than has been the traditional case.
> However, I think if I can get where I want to go, I might be able to offer a
> more finely-tuned solution, or at least the ideas / rough code to get to the
> solutions.

If you be more specific in what exactly you want to achieve we may
come up with more specific help.

Best,
~Hans