[pmwiki-users] Totally Perplexed by Farming and Fields...

gdb at soundchasers.com gdb at soundchasers.com
Sun Jan 22 15:53:38 CST 2006

I've been trying to understand (completely) the concept of farms for the past
several hours.  I've poured over the documentation, and read every scrap of all
three or four documents out there, and still it isn't clear.

I think the main point for my confusion is this: most of the documentation isn't
using absolute path references.  This makes the concept of a farm (which is
rather close to recursion itself) even more confusing.

Basically, here's where I am getting confused.  Is the farmconfig.php supposed
to be in the <webroot>/local/ or is it supposed to be in the
<webroot>/<field>/local/ directory?

Next, I am trying to understand if it is possible to set up a field, and have it
shared with all of the other fields?  For example, I would like to have a tools
/ system field, and place some of the plug-ins in it (like one of the form
tools -- I haven't decided on which one yet...), and allow it to be called by
all of the fields.  (Basically, the idea is to create a "segmented" website:
gallery in one field, news in it's own field, links database in their own
field, etc.  And, to set up forms in their own field, that could be called from
each of the individual fields.)

Am I getting too far ahead of myself here?  Or am I going to be up for an
extreme challenge?  (Aside: I know that one of the tricks here is going to be
masking out the tools pages from search results.  But I hoped that might be
easier if I were able to just mask the whole field.) Speaking of this -- here's
another question I hadn't thought about: can the user search across all fields?

Should I just consider falling back to having a single wiki and use the groups
to their advantage as much as possible?

// George