[pmwiki-users] Switching Hosts

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 16 12:59:26 CST 2006

On 1/16/06, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the very detailed response. I'll try your process. I have a
> few minor points of clarification below.
>
> H. Fox wrote:
> > Do you have shell access?  If so, I'll take a shot at it.  (Even if
> > not, you might be able to "translate" to what you can do with the
> > tools you have available.)
> I don't have shell access. I've sent a request to my host to enable it,
> but in the meantime I'll try your process via ftp, etc.
>
> > Upload the old site, in its entirety data and all, to the pmwiki/
> > directory.  Better yet would be to zip the old site and unzip it to
> > the new one.
> I do not have shell access on my original Windows host. So a backup is
> all I have, which has already caused some priv issues.
>
> > First, assure all directories and files from the old site are readable
> >
> >    find -type d pmwiki | xargs chmod 755 *
> >    find -type f pmwiki | xargs chmod 644 *
> I assume this means all directories set to 755, and all files to 644.

It does.  Here's what those should have been

   find pmwiki -type d |xargs chmod 755
   find pmwiki -type f |xargs chmod 644

Try simply `find pmwiki -type d' to get an idea.

The xargs(1) command just e(x)ecutes the command with the list as (arg)ument(s).

> > Now rename that directory so we can do a fresh, from-scratch installation.
> >
> >    mv pmwiki pmwiki.old
> >
> > Next do a fresh installation of the same PmWiki version your old site
> > is running.
> >
> >    wget http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta14.tgz
> >    tar -zxvf pmwiki-2.1.beta14.tgz
> >    mv pmwiki-2.1.beta14 pmwiki
> >    chmod 2777 pmwiki
> >    #Visit the new wiki so it can create a wiki.d/ directory.
> >
> > Next you want to let PmWiki create the upload directory and group
> > subdirectories.  Use a minimal local/config.php with your values for
> > upload-related settings
> >
> >    #Upload an image file to each group that has uploads.
> >    chmod 755 pmwiki
> >
> > Next copy your files over the new copy of pmwiki
> >
> >    cp -a pmwiki-old/. pmwiki
> Does this overwrite existing files? I presume not as that would
> overwrite the newly installed version.

It does exactly that.

Overwriting the folders leaves the target folders' permissions intact.
 That's why it's important to let PmWiki create each group's upload
folder first -- otherwise the upload folders will not be writable by
the server.