[pmwiki-users] $EnablePageListProtect

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 12 11:04:46 CST 2006

Floozy contributed some important information in PITS:00637 that
I thought was worth bringing to the list's attention...

In 2.1.beta15, PmWiki changed the default setting of
$EnablePageListProtect to be enabled by default, where
previously it was disabled.  Setting $EnablePageListProtect
prevents read-protected pages from appearing in search results
and pagelists unless the visitor has read authorization for the page.

However, an important side effect of setting this value is
that generating some pagelist results can be significantly (3x-4x)
slower than before, because PmWiki has to read each page
in order to check authorization credentials.  For keyword
searches this isn't a factor, since the page is being read
anyfay, but pagelists that don't normally require reading the
pagefiles (e.g., sitemaps, groups, trails) this can slow
things down a fair bit.

I'll probably put a note about this in the sample-config.php file,
and also in an upcoming page describing the (:pagelist:) directive,
but it was surprising enough to me that I thought I'd send a note
to the lists.

Thanks,