[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 07:04:59 CST 2006

Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 12:38:03 PM, Ben wrote:
> I've not had a good chance to look at this yet (work being what it
> is). Would you say the documentation on your site and in this email
> are a complete, effective way to blog using PmWiki? Given a choice, I
> would rather this be a recipe than a part of the Core as I gather Pm
> had suggested. I'm sort of writing half-cocked as I have to finish
> getting a site together before anybody else gets in.

No, what I have accomplished I think can be used for effective
blogging, but it is not (yet) a complete solution. And it has some
limitations, as all the lists shown are done with pagelist markup, and
it would be better as I outlined to have a pmwiki core method to
enable creation of trail pages which get populated automatically.
trail markup does not work if it refers to a trail page which consists
of a pagelist markup. We need a list of actual written links.

This is what I am suggesting and looking forward to. With such a tool
it would be a big step forward for a blogging solution.
We got now page variables and pagelist with extra power, and
newpagebox can be used to add blog pages easily. But auto-populating
trail pages would be the best, even though most of it can be done with
pagelist markup, and more can be done with pagelist markup if it
includes an option to filter for date1..date2 intervals.

Setting up the blog I found it was a lot of customisation, and it
needed to be tightly integrated with the skin.
I don't know what a core pmwiki blog may look like, but from Pm's
proposal I would think it will be rather limited. I would prefer good
core tools, and let recipe writers and skin designers use them to
create various pmwiki blogging solutions. There is so much scope for
variation and customisation.

Best,
~Hans