[pmwiki-users] alien characters on my pmwiki headers

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 6 10:18:18 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:52:47PM -0800, frederic tubale wrote:
>    Then
>    headers of the files had this alien characters now. Right at the beginning
>    of the html code. Pls see the source code below:

Stuff like this has been reported to happen in the past but
I can't recall what causes it or how to fix it.  :-(

>    The alien characters above have also this :
>    Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output
>    started at...../pmwiki.php:) in /..../web/pmwiki.php on line 718

Is there a line number reported between the "/pmwiki.php:" and the
")" parenthesis that follows?  That would tell us where the extra
characters are being generated.

(Usually the error message reads something like:
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers
    already sent by (output started at .../pmwiki.php:3) in
    /.../pmwiki.php on line 6
 which tells me that the offending output was on line 3 of pmwiki.php.)

If there's not a line number reported there, that means that
the extra characters are likely being generated before the pmwiki.php
script ever executes, which means that it's likely a PHP
or webserver configuration issue.

I'll be glad to help troubleshoot in any way that I can.

>    Our server is running on Apache 4.4.

Er, did you mean "PHP 4.4"?  There isn't an "Apache 4.4" -- the latest
version is 2.2, and most sites are running versions much earlier than
that.  (It will really help to know the version of Apache being
used...)