[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 4 15:10:17 CST 2006

On 1/4/06, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe the solution is to fix the default Main.HomePage, so that it
> > reads something like:
> >
> >     Welcome to PmWiki!
> >
> >     '''First time installers:'''  A local copy of PmWiki's
> >     documentation has been installed along with the software,
> >     and is available via the [[documentation index]].  To
> >     continue setting up PmWiki, see [[initial setup tasks]].
> >
> >     The [[basic editing]] page describes how to create pages
> >     in PmWiki, and you can practice editing in the [[wiki sandbox]].
> >
> > This way the first thing that a newbie admin encounters once
> > PmWiki is running is a highlighted note that clearly calls out
> > to people doing their first installation, and directs them
> > where to go next.
> >
> > The InitialSetupTasks page can then have another note at the top
> > reminding new admins that a copy of the documentation is
> > available locally, and it can be accessed via the DocumentationIndex.
> >
> > Does this sound workable/better?
>
> Absolutely! Perhaps make the text "local copy" bold to really make it
> stand out. I think that would have been a big help to me the first
> time around.

Highlighting "local copy" seems overkill.

The proposed README.txt document mentions the documentation pages.

The bundled documentation is mentioned prominently in the proposed
current INSTALL.txt draft, which is structured like so:

    [introduction...]

    Once your site is up and running you will be able to read the bundled
    documentation pages.

    Here are some quick steps to start you on your path toward a complete,
    customized installation:

    [...installation steps...]

    That's it.  Next you'll probably want to browse your new site and
    read the bundled documentation.

    Enjoy!

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/READMEAndDocsDir#install

There's also the proposed docs/DOCUMENTATION.txt file, yet to be written.

How much is enough?

Hagan