[pmwiki-users] Re: WMF vulnerability in Windows systems

Robin robin at kallisti.net.nz
Tue Jan 3 18:57:06 CST 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 13:38, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Unfortunately, using an alternative browser doesn't necessarily protect
> you. You can get into trouble here with many other browsers (versions)
> as well. It's the actual showing of the image that's the problem :-(
Yeah, I've been doing a bit more reading on it. Using something else does
mitigate it in a small way, it won't automatically run, but if you tell
it to save the file and then view it from explorer, or you tell it to
open it, then you can get hit in just the same way.

http://isc.sans.org has been having a running commentary on it which is
pretty interesting. There is also an unofficial patch that apparently
fixes it until Microsoft finally comes out with their patch (which is now
looking like it will be delayed until they do their normal monthly patch
batch after all)

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz> JabberID: <eythian at jabber.kallisti.net.nz>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8  7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D