[pmwiki-users] Burnt! Simultaneous edit lost :-(

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 26 18:10:16 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 07:02:47PM -0500, pmwiki wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >> I was editing a page.  A bug list... one of my editors was testing
> >> the same app and opened the wiki to the same page I had already
> >> opened... he proceed to write quite a lot of observations in the edit
> >> window... when he clicked "Save" he was informed that the page was
> >> already being edited,  that his input would be merged and he could
> >> look at changes.
> >>
> >> *but his edit field was blank!* all his input lost and the changes
> >> list did not show his most recent input.
> >
> I can reproduce this problem on my wiki, but not on yours.  In both
> cases, I am running Mac OS X and Safari.  My wiki is on a linux server
> running apache.

PmWiki uses the "diff3" program under Unix/Linux in order to handle
Simultaneous Edits.  If the server doesn't allow calling external
programs, or if the diff3 program is unavailable, then
simultaneous edits doesn't work.

Yes, this is a known bug -- I just haven't had a good opportunity
to fix it yet.  Send my sincere apologies to your editor for this one.

In the meantime, you might look at installing the
Cookbook.SimuleditWithoutPopen recipe -- I hope to
incorporate it (or something like it) into the core someday.