[pmwiki-users] wikiforms adds (:title:) option

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:26:09 CST 2006

On 2/23/06, noskule <noskule at gmx.net> wrote:

> May we
> start first with a call for usecases ?

I've used it a couple of times.  The things it has that I really value are
1) users can create *and later edit* entries in a form.  The times I've used
this, it's been for a CRM-like situation, where the owners of the sites
didn't have any interest in getting (outside) users involved in the
wiki-ness of it all.  So the more that I can tweak it to keep form-users "in
the form" the better.

2) that wonderful tabular summary wikitable = substitute for a database,
with the abilities to A) click a link in the table to go to the record, B)
click a heading to sort on it, and C) create a table that is a subset of the
full collection of pages.

In one case, the potential owners were so uninterested in the wiki-ness of
it that they didn't even want to hear about it, and I would have been paid
to maintain the entire site.  I'd have created pages myself from data users
would have submitted via a *mailform.*

I'd have posted each record to a nicely-formatted page *and* created a
corresponding set of hidden pages to generate the wikiform's wikitable. The
wikitable would have had links in the user-name fields to the
nicely-formatted pages and not to the wikiform pages at all (this was before
the Page column of the wikitable could be hidden, so I also forced a click
on the numeric-wikiform-page-link to redirect to the corresponding
nicely-formatted page).

All of that extra layer of pages because I wanted the virtues of the
wikitable, but couldn't use the wikiforms pages because they couldn't be
made CRM-like enough, and couldn't be made to hold other things like
formatting, images, other text, links, etc.

I'm hoping that's useful case-information.  I really like these features and
am very impressed with JR's design work and helpfulness, but I know I've
been using the whole design in ways for which it simply wasn't intended.
Not being a programmer, I've just been hacking at what I can find already in
place.  Maybe a whole parallel design is what's really called for here.  I
know from comments on the Cookbook/WikiForms page *and* on the list serve
that there are others who are trying to do similar things with it.

Tegan Dowling