[pmwiki-users] wikiforms adds (:title:) option

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Feb 22 15:22:40 CST 2006

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 12:58 AM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
<snip>

>>Support for non-numeric page names is unlikely to
>>happen any time soon, but I think the above feature
>>comes close to the same effect.
>>
>>Any questions or comments, let me know.
>>

>the question seams to be if  its needed for access the page or to
>display a title. For example, in the case of a glossary  the use of
>pagenames would allow  to reference with a common wikilink
>[[Glossary.PWM]] directly to  the entry in the form. So far I
>funderstand, this wouldnt be possible with the above solution.
>grz nos

I knew you would ask!! You are quite correct but I just cannot
see a way to make wikiforms work reliably with non-numeric
page names, without a complete redesign.

However... we *might* be able to do something like this:

Suppose we have a markup rule that picks up markup of the
form [[Glossary/(.*?)]] -- can we translate the .*? into
a page number?

If we write Glossary.RecentChanges entries as
* [[{$FullName} | {$Title}]]
we might be able to translate [[Glossary/(.*?)]] into
[[Glossary/nnnnn | (.*?)]] using Glossary.RecentChanges.

This would be faster than reading all the pages in
Glossary and checking their titles, I think.

We would need to handle the case where Glossary.Text doesn't
exist, but that should be possible. Clicking the question
mark should bring up a new entry form, ideally with the
title field filled in.

I'm not totally certain this can be made to work, and
there may be a better way... If there is enough interest
and some willing helpers, we can give it a try.

Before doing any work, we'd need to be sure that this is
the best solution.

What would be really nice is a general pmwiki solution
that uses special link markup to say "this is a link to
the page's title, please sort it out for me".

John
--
JR