[pmwiki-users] Links to nothing changes cause side effect

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 08:24:26 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:09:21PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> I wonder if I can exploit the necessity of an extra ?action=... to
> turn into an advantage for adding an easy method to stop search engine
> robots listing links like [[{$Name}?setcolor=....| ... ]]
> [[{$Name}?setview=....| ... ]]. Can I perhaps use an ?action=set in
> the link like [[{$Name}?action=set?setview=....| ... ]], and add this
> action to the list of actions a robot shall avoid/not list, even
> though there is no special action handler defined?

Yes, this works!

The robots.php script controls the set of actions that a robot is
allowed to perform; since ?action=set isn't in that list, a robot
will get a 403 Forbidden error for those links.

And PmWiki assumes that any ?action=xyz value it doesn't understand
is really intended to be ?action=browse, so that works.

Excellent!