[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 18 10:35:56 CST 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:50:58AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:

> > I'm not trying to be mysterious or opaque,  I'm just trying to
> > get a better understanding of your perceptions of CSS and how
> > it should work.  :-)
>
> What's mysterious is why you wold think it would be done any differently.  :-)
>
> IOW it seems like a "trick question" because I would use the same
> lines of CSS, save for the line-height of 1em.  Hopefully that doesn't
> reveal some big misunderstanding of CSS  on my part!
>
> http://qdig.sourceforge.net/wiki-skins/sshots/Test/CSSMarginTestZero.html
> http://qdig.sourceforge.net/wiki-skins/sshots/Test/CSSMarginTestOne.html
> http://qdig.sourceforge.net/wiki-skins/sshots/Test/CSSMarginTestTwo.html

My apologies in advance for the somewhat labored precision of what follows --
I really am just trying to understand what's going on and having trouble
expressing myself clearly.

It has been my impression -- very possibly mistaken -- from the images
and things you've been writing that you feel it should be possible
for an author to obtain vertical spacing between a heading and its
subsequent paragraph that is *smaller* than the normal vertical
spacing between two paragraphs.  This is the meaning I've been taking
from the statement "the author is given a small amount of control
over whitespace under headings" and the various discussions of
vspace paragraphs.

If you do indeed intend that it be possible for the vertical space
below headings to be smaller than inter-paragraph spacing, none
of the HTML pages you give above demonstrate that capability -- at
least, not in my browsers.  This is why I'm curious to know how
you would expect this to be achieved with "W3C standard" HTML and CSS
and present technologies, and why I "think it would be done
any differently".  :-)

Knowing the answer to how you would do it in "normal HTML/CSS"
would help me greatly in getting PmWiki to cleanly act in a similar
manner (as opposed to a hack), especially with respect to PmWiki's
use of vspace paragraphs following headings.