[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 17 19:32:42 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 06:14:01PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> It's the same thing that happens with
>
> !!Heading
> !! Heading
> !!  Heading
> !!   Heading
>
> Where the first two result in identical XHTML output and the other two
> have one and two leading spaces in the heading text respectively.

This is the best argument I've heard in favor of eating the newlines
following headings.  I might be able to swallow it now.  :-)

> That, combined with automatically adding newlines above/below heading
> upon saving would be fantastic.

I'm generally against automatic changes to the markup itself.
Since the author directly works with the markup, he/she will typically
already have it in its easiest-to-understand form.

> and that would result in markup that doesn't include a "vspace
> paragraph" above or below the H2 heading.  If someone wants to add a
> little extra vspace, they could add an extra newline.

Unfortunately, the way things are currently structured it's not really
that trivial to get a heading to eat exactly one newline (actually,
<:vspace>) that follows.  But I guess I could come up with something.

If we're eating newlines that follow a heading, do we have to eat
the newlines beforehand as well?