[pmwiki-users] deleting pages

Susan pmwiki at onebit.ca
Thu Feb 16 18:03:08 CST 2006

Mikael Nilsson <mini <at> nada.kth.se> writes:

> lör 2006-02-11 klockan 17:24 +0100 skrev
> christian.ridderstrom <at> gmail.com:
> > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Anno wrote:
> >
> > > I am somehow not so thrilled to see this page
> > >
> > > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DeletingPages
> > >
> > > as it makes it possible for a vandal to "destroy"(for display, until the
> > > admin manually restores it) almost every page on the site.
> >
> > Um.. do you mean that you don't want users to know how to delete pages?
> >
> > Personally I think we may have to live with the risk of vandals.
>
> Yes, that's sort of the point with wikis. Or rather, the admin must
> choose an approach.
>
> As long as anyone can edit a page, they can replace it with a single
> space or whatever anyway, so if you have a problem with deleting, you
> should also have a problem with edit privileges in general.
>
> /Mikael

As I understand it, deleting a page removes the entire history, and to get it
back you have to go to the backups, the copies of the files that the techie
keeps in case of viruses or server crashes.

Replacing the contents with something else keeps the history intact; you just
have to go to the Diffs page and ask to restore.

I rather like the idea of a customizable word for deleting the pages. That way,
what works on your site won't work on mine, and vice versa, keeping the risk of
vandalism down. Then again, I haven't looked into the delete key thing mentioned
earlier, which might be easier to implement than I thought.

Susan