[pmwiki-users] Behavior of pmwiki search for "search" - improvment/customization of search faciility

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 15 13:20:51 CST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 06:32:01PM +0100, Patrick Ogay wrote:
> At the moment: (Feb. 15. 2006)
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/Search?action=search&q=search+
> 444 pages found out of 3452 pages searched.
> but doesn't show a result

Oops -- the patch I just made to fix the include with anchors broke
the page list templates.  Now fixed.

> I like to improve my search facility, because my friends say, they don't
> find anything...

Assuming you're wanting to do these from the searchbox:

> *restrict search on groups and categories, Authors.

Restrict search to the PmWiki group:

    group=PmWiki apple -pie
    PmWiki/ apple -pie

Restrict search to pages in the Skins category:

    link=Category.Skins apple -pie

Restrict search to pages in the Documentation index:

    trail=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex apple -pie

(I don't have a way to search based on authorship.)

> *exclude groups  like defaultgroups pmwiki

Exclude pages in the PmWiki group:
    group=-PmWiki apple -pie

Exclude pages in the PmWiki and Site groups:
    group=-PmWiki,-Site apple -pie

Exclude pages from an administrator-defined set:
    list=foo apple -pie

> *search on titles (or other priority)

Coming soon.

> *search on time (last month, last week..)

Can be added if there are others who want it.  We need a good
date specification format.

> *sort order, by date ..

    apple -pie order=-time        # reverse order by date
    apple -pie order=name         # ordered by name
    apple -pie order=ctime        # ordered by creation time
    apple -pie order=-title       # ordered by page title

> I guess the search is a kind of pagelist, and could be enhanced with the
> features above.

As you can see, most of them already exist.  The search is
already implemented using pagelists.  :-)