[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 10 16:39:25 CST 2006

On 10 Feb 2006 14:16:12 +1300, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
> A more general approach would be to define it as a specially-
> classed paragraph, perhaps class='book', with a default
> presentation, perhaps indented, but not specify the formatting
> as part of the markup's definition. This allows the paragraph
> to be presented differently in different contexts, if desired.

I agree that paragraphs should be allowed to be presented differently
in different contexts, and didn't intend to imply otherwise.  Let me
try again...

First, keep in mind that spacing between paragraphs is done with

    Paragraph one.

    Paragraph two.

which produces

What's being suggested (I thought) is an alternative way to indicate
the start of a paragraph, like

    Paragraph one.
    +Paragraph two.

(The markup might not be a "+".)

The XHTML for alternative paragraphs might be something like

You could use CSS to get book-like paragraphs this way:

    p.vspacefoo { display:none; }
    p.foo { text-indent: 5em; }

> So in this example
[...]
> both list items would be numbered 1? or is the second
> one numbered 2?
[...]
> Not as I understand the new spaced text markup --
> I think it's
[...]
> But I could be wrong; it's hard to keep up.
[..]
> again, not as I understand the new spaced text markup --
> I think it's
[...]

I used the WikiSandbox for testing. <goes to sandbox...>  Now here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/BooklikeParagraphs

I'm suggesting that specially-formatted paragraphs should be treated
essentially the same as paragraphs (or any blocks) are now.
Specifically

    Paragraph one.

    Paragraph two.

and

    Paragraph one.
    +Paragraph two.

are similar, except the second example treats paragraph two a a
paragraph that may be styled differently.

I think the default alternative paragraph style should be "book-like"
paragraphs that are indented, with no blank line between.  For those
who want the blank line, there's always

    Paragraph one.

    +Paragraph two.

> I was more meaning that +start of line markup gives you
> multiparagraphs for free. And wanted to explore whether
> pmwiki should treat +start of line the same way in all
> cases, ie
>
> Stuff
> +more stuff and
>
> #Stuff
> +more stuff
>
> Your answer is yes it should; mine is I don't know.

I'm not sure I understand the "multiparagraphs for free" part, but yes
I think specially-formatted paragraphs should be treated like
paragraphs are treated now.  That is, these two

    # Stuff
    +more stuff and
    # Stuff

    more stuff

will both be

    <ordered-list item>
    <paragraph>

or specifically,

    <padding><number>. Stuff
    <indent>more stuff and
    <padding><number>. Stuff
    <blank line>
    more stuff

... if that matters, because that's not markup you're likely to
actually see. These probably matter more:

    # Stuff
      +more stuff and
    # Stuff

      more stuff and