[pmwiki-users] page actions when viewing a nonexistent page

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 14:34:21 CST 2006

I'm sorry in advance if this has been asked before - I tried to find it in
PITS and in the archives but failed.

The engine rewrites all page actions on non-existent pages to
action=edit.  When viewing a nonexistent page ( i.e.
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Foo/Bar), it shows how the process works nicely to
make sure that the engine doesn't have to bother with requests to, for
example, print a nonexistent page.

That is a good idea for actions such as diff, print, source, view, etc., but
there are actually actions that you can do on any page, regardless of
whether it exists or not,  i.e. attr, or with recipes--totalcounter,
setskin, etc.

As an example of why this is annoying, I have a link on my menu that reads
*[[{$Group}.GroupAttributes?action=attr| Group Attributes ]]

Until I actually assign GroupAttributes for a particular group, the wiki
will always show a link to GroupAttributes?action=edit instead.

Similarly, if I have links to {$Name}?action=setskin in the menus, they
won't look right on the screen if I'm viewing a nonexistent page.

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request, but it'd be nice
if at least there was some way to specify to the link engine that I didn't
want to rewrite ?action=whatever to ?action=edit just because the page
doesn't exist.

Jon

--
Jon Haupt