[pmwiki-users] AuthUser documentation?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 7 14:16:23 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:57:02PM +0000, Susan wrote:
> Allister Jenks <arj <at> zkarj.co.nz> writes:
>

> > And does anybody (especially you newbies) like the idea of a 'start here' page
> > for wiki building?  I feel there is a need for an overview level page or pages
> > which explain all of the elements of the wiki in the overall context.  I'm
> > thinking a narrative that covers everything in the DocumentationIndex and
> > MarkupMasterIndex pages, how they relate and where they fit into the wiki
> > concept.  I still don't have all that level sussed yet.
>
> Yes, I'd love one! The main problem at the moment seems to be that it's a
> moving target. Just as I figure out how one part works, it gets improved and
> I have to learn it all over again.

Well, the moving target should be *much* more stationary in the very
near future.  I'm feeling pretty close to removing the "beta" designation,
which should be an indication that things will be quite stable for a while.

Also, I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but one technique that
might be useful for this sort of documentation may be to use a
decision-tree structure, similar to what is used for troubleshooting
trees in tech support.  There's an interesting example of this technique
used at http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Getting_Started .

I've been thinking that one of the difficulties in coming up with a
narrative to help newbies is that many people come to PmWiki with
vastly different applications, needs, and constraints in mind, and
so it's difficult to come up with a single narrative that really
covers them all.  If we had a few simple questions that could guide
people into a narrative document that is tailored around their
initial ideas, that might be helpful.

As always, if we need special markup support or structures to improve
the documentation, I'm all for them!