[pmwiki-users] Question about reference sytnax

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 15:23:26 CST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:47:15PM -0500, Ryan R. Varick wrote:
> I noticed that references only seem to work when there is no space
> between the hash sign and the pipe:
>
> * [[http://www.google.com | #]] yields: #
> * [[http://www.google.com |#]] yields: [1]
> * [[WikiSandbox | #]] yields: #
> * [[WikiSandbox|#]] yields: [2]
>
> Is this by design?  To me, I expect that a reference would be created
> regardless of whether there is a leading space or not, as in cases (1)
> and (3).

It's by design, although some will dispute this particular
design decision.  It comes down to having a way of getting a '#'
as a link, in case anyone ever wanted to do that.

I tried a similar rational for the title markup ( [[target|+]] ),
but historical precedent constrained me on that one and we had
to allow spaces around the '+'.

Consistency with the title markup would probably argue in favor
of allowing spaces around the '#'.  I suppose that if someone
really wanted a '#' as the link text they could always do:

    [[target | [=#=] ]]

Opinions welcome.