[pmwiki-users] breadcrumbing in page headers

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 3 12:54:42 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:38:01PM -0600, Little, Charles wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the term "bread crumb" has different meanings
> > for different people, so to clarify...are you looking for a way to
> > display the names of pages most recently viewed by the visitor, or a
> > way to display the trail of links leading from the site root to
> > the current page?
>
> Personally, either or both of these would be very helpful to me.  I'm
> not sure about the roiginal poster- it seems that he was looking for the
> latter.

The names of pages from the site root to the current page can be done
with a WikiTrail -- see http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiTrails,
especially the part about the "^| [[TrailPage]] |^" markup.

In particular, suppose we create a trail page with:

    * [[Alice]]
    * [[Bob]]
    ** [[Carol]]
    *** [[David]]
    ** [[Elaine]]
    *** [[Fred]]
    * [[Grace]]
    * [[Harold]]

Then if we're on David's page, the markup  "^| [[TrailPage]] |^"
will display

    TrailPage > Bob > Carol > David

If we're on Elaine's page, we'd see

    TrailPage > Bob > Elaine

I'm working on an extension to (:pagelist:) that will make it
really really easy to display a list of the most recently visited
pages.  :-)