[pmwiki-users] Page attributes

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:02:05 CST 2006

On 2/1/06, Henrik Bechmann <henrik at bechmannsoftware.com> wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I just wanted to throw a couple of ideas on the table, in terms of
> formal attributes of pages:
>
> 1. A Page Alias, so that if an administrator wanted a different
> presentation name for a page than the storage name, an alias could be
> defined. The way the alias would work is that it would take on the
> storage name of the page if the alias name itself was blank. It would be
> set in the environment as $PageAlias or some such. There might be issues
> of course in terms of interchangeability with $Name in certain other
> functions, but these could perhaps be handled by looking up the storage
> name of the page whenever an alias might be used (such as a search
> parameter).

$Title and $Titlespaced do this already. To set the title just do:
    (:title My Page Title Here :)

> 2. A Description as an attribute of the page, so that search results,
> tables of contents, and such could present the description of the page
> with or instead of the page name (or alias). It would be set in the
> environment as $PageDescription or some such.

If I recall correctly, Patrick mentioned recently that he was
interested in adding some sort of page description mechanism. However,
last I knew he hadn't settled on what should be displayed if it hasn't
been set. I think he was leaning towards a page excerpt, but was
looking for suggestions on how much of the page constituted an
excerpt.

> Both could be entered in fields on the edit form for a page.

The EditTitle recipe does just that for the $Title and once the
description stuff is done, it wouldn't be to hard to adapt it for that
as well.