[pmwiki-users] flunking at farming

jeb eddy jeb at mac.com
Tue Dec 19 18:33:40 CST 2006

I gotta say I am impressed at the caliber of both the Pmwiki software
and the talent in this group.  I am not a star at this sport, and I'm
a newcomer, and I have already gotten a bunch of things to work,
including skins and a handful of recipes.

Many thanks to so many authors and contributors!

But I can't yet get my first farm to work.  I'm sure it is a mistake
on my part, hopefully small.

I apologize for the length of this email, but I'm trying to show that
I have tried to do my homework, and want to offer data for any
diagnostician who may care to help.

I'm trying to follow the instructions at:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarms,  and just today I found
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FarmSetupByExample, but alas...

My internet domain is "wigl.com" (that's W-I-G-L), which I will
explain some other time.

The address of my successfully working Pmwiki site is

http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/pmwiki.php

Nothing there of interest yet, just practicing.

In the same local/ directory as config.php for my home site, I have
created a file named "farmconfig.php", containing:

<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
$FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/pub';

I see that the permissions for local/config.php are 777.  Maybe I
should change that before long, but I'm not clear on what the
settings should be; I'll leave it as is for now.

Anyway, seeing 777, I set farmconfig.php to the same.

I have made no changes to the config.php in local/.

I do not have an "index.php" file in my home site.

Moving right along...

At the same level as my home wiki (home = http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/),
I have created a folder jf333/, with 755.  (These permissions match
those of my home wiki folder, jeb1/.)

In this jf333/ folder, I have created a file "index.php" containing only:

<?php include('../jeb1/pmwiki.php');

Permissions are 755.

I launch a browser to

http://www.wigl.com/jf333

First of all, the URL gets changed to:  http://wigl.com/jf333/

i.e., the "www" disappears.

Question:
Is this what should happen?
(I'd appreciate a short explanation of why it happens, too.  I have
no idea why some URLs require 'www" and some do not.  I  thought it
was related to the amount of money some companies pay to the web
administrators in the sky...)

OK, I get the standard default Pmwiki home page.

(For several days, I also got a strange warning at the top, but
recent email from Paul in response to a similar error directed me to
look for leading blank lines and/or spaces in "farmconfig.php" in my
home site; and yes, I found and removed a space.    Now the warning
has gone. )

[[[Draft:  Add to instructions:
Be SURE to remove any leading blank lines, or space characters at the
beginning of the <php?... line of your farmconfig.php file.  Failure
to do this generates a strange error message about headings...   ]]]

But now comes the more serious trouble.

When I click "edit", I get:

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request.

"Please contact the server administrator, webmaster at wigl.com and
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
have done that may have caused the error.

"More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at wigl.com Port 80

I'm mainly using Firefox 1.0.6.  I just used the "clear" button for
the cache.  But same error w/  Safari 1.2.4 on my Mac; and same with
IE on a PC.

I get the same server error screen for the buttons View, History, and Print.

Good news, however, is that a wiki.d directory has been created in
jf333, containing only one file:      .flock .

I  changed the permissions on that directory to 777.  Still no success.

In a browser I also tried:

http://www.wigl.com/jf333/index.php   (i.e., including the index file name.)

Nope.  Exactly the same results as above.

Question :  Have I provided enough so that someone can point out what
am I doing wrong?

=====
Almost last Question:  Are browser buffers a possible source of my trouble?
=====

Finally, under the heading "Customization" on the WikiFarms
documentation page, the instructions describe a variable, $FarmD.

Since it is not mentioned in the general instructions, I assume it is
optional, or created by the system?

Anyway, I have tried setting it to my home wiki directory, in 2
different files:

-- jeb1/local/config.php (my home wiki)
-- jeb1/local/farmconfig.php in my home wiki

In my last attempts, just before mailing this, I have taken it out;
still no luck with Edit in jf333.

I will share some nice zucchini and fresh corn with a fellow farmer
who can get me going.

;-)

If there are some details that should be added to the existing
instructions, I'll be happy to put them up as soon as I know what
they are.

Thx,

Jeb Eddy