[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Thu Aug 31 04:11:04 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:23:12PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> Any scheme that leaves archived pages accessible by the same URL they
> lived at prior to archiving is bound to lead to some confusion. Local
> searches may not find them, but bookmarks, links, and external search
> engines will still pop them up.
>
> I currently archive pages on some of my wikis by moving them into an
> "archived" group which is read protected. I can go in and retrieve
> things if I need to, but it keeps the rest of the wiki tidy. And if
> links get broken? Well, it provides an incentive to remove or
> redirect the link or to create a new page with current content.

I think we should define what is meant by archiving first :).

As I understood by now the idea is exactly that those pages still exist,
and can be reached (some people might still be looking for Cookbook1
entries) - or there might be external links to them, but they should not
be listed in searches, etc. by default.

The idea is not to put them in a box and move them to the basement to be
forgotten until the next garage sale.

As I wrote earlier I'd vote for an attribute or directive on the page.
Perhaps we could have a directive (:archived:) that includes a message
from Site/ArchiveMessage or something - perhaps using
(:archived reason:).

That way the page get's "tagged" and an info is printed on the page to
inform users that stumble over the page.

In addition we could add meta-tags to stop search engines from indexing
the page.

     Balu