[pmwiki-users] Great pagelist question...

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Aug 30 18:44:03 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:47:47PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> Neil Herber wrote:
> > At 2006-08-30  12:11 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >>  In particular, as things stand now
> >> we can't set properties in a page Group.XYZ with things like
> >>
> >>     Name: Patrick Michaud
> >>     Title: Benevolent Dictator
> >>     Group: PmWiki enthusiasts
> >>     Version: 2.0

> Actually, I don't like the colon either, but its in running text that I
> don't like it. As someone who tends to overuse colons in my writing, I'm
> worried that I'll be defining these things without even realizing it. I
> can't help but worry I might just trigger it by posting a single IRC
> log:
>
> JoeBlow: whazzup?
> Jimbo: Yaknow, stuff.
> JoeBlow: good stuff?

Good point!

> And I'll have defined a whole bunch of these data fields. I'd like them
> far more if they either a) used a different markup that would be
> uncommon in English text (perhaps a double colon? It could still display
> as a single colon.) or used some sort of start and end delimiters.
> Either of these would be fine by me:
>

> Name:: Patric Michaud
> Title:: Benevolent Dictator
> Group:: PmWiki enthusiasts
> Version:: 2.0
>
> OR
>
> (:fields:)
> Name: Patric Michaud
> Title: Benevolent Dictator
> Group: PmWiki enthusiasts
> Version: 2.0
> (:fieldsend:)

I like both these ideas, so long as we don't lose the "definition lists
also set variables" thing, because I think that's really cool too.
I don't think definition lists would be a problem, because one has to
deliberately make them, one isn't likely to be typing

:thing: foo

by accident.  Wheras the "Name: stuff" can be naturally used for other
things as pointed out above.

I love this idea!  Because I can use it in my story archive, without
having to go through all the hoops I did to extract things like story
authors.

Kathryn Andersen