[pmwiki-users] Documentation update moans

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Aug 30 12:36:36 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:14:09PM +0100, Marc Cooper wrote:

> I just upgraded from .11 to .18, and am wondering what inspired the
> following:
> - FAQ: Red bold text!
> - Passwords:

Oops.  Apparently in the rush to resolve some other issues, these
edits slipped past me into the distribution.

Feel free to correct them on pmwiki.org, and they'll be fixed in
the next release.

> - The 'Other Variables' page has lost a swathe of entries. Some appear
>   to have moved elsewhere, but some are now absent. For example,
>   $EnableIMSCaching; $EnableStopWatch; and so on.

I think new pages were created for some of these variables and
those new pages didn't make it into the distribution.

> One final wish: is there any reason that 'Documentation Index' has line
> breaks in it? It makes it difficult to scan - although nowhere near as
> difficult as the Cookbook index, which is just horrible.

In the past people noted that scanning the long lists of items
without the linebreaks was also difficult to read.  I don't
have a problem with either approach, so we can vote on it
here on the listserv.

And I'm hoping to make the Cookbook index more "automatic", as
demonstrated at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook-ByCategory .
This page is slow at the moment (because it has to generate all of
the category lists individually), but I'm thinking I can create
a custom formatting function to make it a reasonable speed again.