[pmwiki-users] Bug: Multiple emails from wiki engine about recent changes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 29 08:11:09 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 08:50:36AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > > The version of PmWiki I am using is 2.1.beta22. If you think it helps,
> > > I can upgrade (I should do that anyway, but it'd be nice to fix the
> > > bug first).
> >
> > The bug has been "fixed" by replacing MailPosts with NotifyList
>
> Ok, I'll upgrade PmWiki somehow then. (I say somehow since I've been using
> Subversion for the upgrade process, which doesn't work now that the
> server has problems resolving pmwiki.org).
> [...]
> Another possible solution might be to hardcode pmwiki.org into /etc/hosts
> or something like that, but unfortunately I don't have root access to the
> server.

I'm not sure that your system has problems _resolving_ pmwiki.org, it's
acting more like the system has difficulty _connecting_ to pmwiki.org.
Especially since ping and other tools seem to work.

For example, instead of using "pmwiki.org" on the command line, perhaps
try the actual IP address 38.119.121.196, as in:

    wget http://38.119.121.196/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-latest.tgz

That will bypass DNS resolution altogether.

If you still get a similar error, then the problem isn't in name
resolution but in connection.  That would likely indicate that a firewall
(either on your end or pmwiki.org's) is blocking http and subversion
requests between the two hosts.

What's the IP address that you're coming from?  Perhaps I can find
out if the pmwiki.org server is blocking such requests.