[pmwiki-users] Re-inventing the Wheel?

Steve Glover steve at fell-services.net
Mon Aug 28 14:22:12 CDT 2006

Hi,

I'm currently converting a UseMod wiki over to PmWiki (chosen because
it's the most skinnable of the wikis that UseMod can be converted into).

One of the requirements I've been given is that the site should no
longer "look like a wiki" at least partially to stop people trying to
mess around with it.

I've managed to partially do this by using mod_rewrite to change the
URL, but that doesn't seem to work for the second part of what I wanted
to do - prevent users from appending action=edit or action=diff onto
URLs (we don't mind them printing, or looking at histories) and from
seeing the PmWiki.*, Main.* and Site.* parts of the wiki sections.

At the same time, I don't want to delete those parts completely because
whoever gets to maintain the wiki will need access to an editing screen
at the very least (and would probably find the documentation useful).

So, what I've done, and what I fear has been reinventing the wheel with
added corners, is to break one of the cardinal rules and modify
pmwiki.php and the config.php files so that I have two different skins
available - one with a "wiki style" side bar with links for various
actions, and another for "mere users" - with a whole pile of stuff in
httpd.conf to try and stop them accessing bits we don't want them to.

This is so obviously wrong, that I'm guessing that someone has done this
properly....

What I'd like to do is to have two URLs - one for the "public" wiki with
available actions cut right back and no access to anything but the
section I've imported from UseMod, and another password-protected
section that can see and do everything as it were.

I'd be grateful for any clues, advice or help that anyone can offer.

Many thanks

Steve

--
Steve Glover, Fell Services Ltd.