[pmwiki-users] Bug: Multiple emails from wiki engine about recent changes

Kurt Devlin kurt.devlin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:30:48 CDT 2006

I had this problem when I had extraneous information or invalid email
addresses in the Site.NotifyList

I tried to make the Site.NotifyList more user friendly and I had some
detailed information on how to enter the information and other references.
The one line that gave me particular problems was:
    :notify:Email address to notify. (*required*)This displayed as the
definition that I wanted it to, but it was also intpretted by the Notify
script as a notification line and tried to send a notification to "email"
using the site defaults. This caused a bounce message to be generated for
each notification and I quickly got a nasty-gram from our internal sysadmins
threatening to pull the plug on our wiki. After some trial and error, I
isolated the issue to the line above. On further investigation, I also
discovered that the notify list is space sensitive. The email address needs
to be right next to the equals sign.

    notify=myemail at mycompany.com will work

    notify= myemail at mycompany.com will generate a notification to an empty
email address, and likely bounce.

I don't recal if it was sensitive to a space befor the equals, but it may
have been. All I can tell you is that there are no spces next to any equals
in my Site.NotifyList. :-)

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Kurt