[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Google Map API v.2.0.0--Hot off the press

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 09:12:54 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Hans <hans.bracker at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23/08/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > I'll take it under advisement for now, but at the moment I'm
> > leaning in favor of it.  How many recipes are there
> > (besides GoogleMapAPI) that need this?
>
> I don't know of any. GoogleMapAPI is the first I come across which
> needs manual modifications of the skin template.

I've seen it elsewhere, but not often enough to remember where. I only
have that vague notion of saying I've had to do it before, but I don't
think I use that recipe anymore.

Although, FWIW, the API does what few of the other recipes does by its
integrating javascript. It is bound by a (presumptive) defect in IE
not allowing inline javascript the way Firefox does. Although, I
notice that there is upthread email offering a potential solution that
I should look into.

Adding to the Skin is not something I crave doing---it is a necessary
evil to provide a dynamic map interface to a wiki. That said, it would
be excellent if I could just append to an array as I do with
HTMLHeaderFmt[] (HTMLFooterFmt[]?) To say that only GMA needs it does
not mean that other recipes could not use it. Adding a HTMLFooterFmt[]
is also symetrical. There is a GroupFooterFmt and a GroupHeaderFmt,
but only a HTMLHeaderFmt[].[1]

In terms of implementation, I think it would probably be better to
behave the same as HTMLHeaderFmt, as that would be the intuitive
behavior (i.e. both HTML...Fmt(s) work alike, and both Group...Fmt(s)
work alike).

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT

[1]: I base this on a simple grep of pmwiki.php