[pmwiki-users] Maximum page-width in Katskin

Andrew Standfield andy at scruffyco.com
Tue Aug 22 13:39:08 CDT 2006

The main problem, here, is that IE 5 and 6 don't really understand
body widths at all, let alone max-width, which it doesn't "do" on any
element.

The usual solution to this, is to make a "wrapper" div around the
entirety of the content. So, just below <body> you would have <div
id="wrapper"> and just above </body> you would end the div with </div>

Then you could set the div to a min-width like this:

#wrapper { max-width: 900px; }

Oh... but you're not done :) Microsoft hates web designers, so you'll
need to ask IE *very* nicely to not make the div any bigger than 900px.

Kat was very smart and used IE Conditionals rather than hacks to put
all of our special IE only CSS into their own little files. That will
make this a bit easier.

In the layout_ie.css file, you'll want to add this little chunk of code:

#wrapper { width:expression(document.body.clientWidth > 902? "900px":
"auto" ); }

Now... having said all of this, i haven't actually *tried* it myself,
as I've never had the need, but I strongly believe it will work. I
lifted the technique from http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/
000892.html

It's also discussed here: http://www.svendtofte.com/code/
max_width_in_ie/

It seems stable enough. Just make sure you set the value after the >
to something different than the value in the quotes. IE will freeze
up otherwise :)

Andy Standfield
http://www.vertigo25.com/
http://www.ipodnirvana.com/