[pmwiki-users] php & javascript integration

Hans hans.bracker at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 22 04:32:09 CDT 2006

I invite your opinions on this development problem:

For the javascript based fontsizer I employed for Triad skin etc
the text sizing buttons (links) are written by the javascript.
This avoids them showing when javascript is disabled/not present.

Now I like to add accesskey behaviour to the buttons,
but this does not work when they are written to html via javascript.
If I write them via php script accesskeys work, but I will see
buttons even with javascript disabled/not present.

I can let javascript set a cookie, which subsequently php can read
and so display the buttons. But for a first visit to the site the
buttons will not be seen, they only appear when changing pages or
reloading the page.

So is it preferable to have no accesskeys at all for the buttons
and have them displayed also on first visit for javascript enabled browsers,
or have accesskeys, but the buttons don't show at first visit to the site,
only on the second page and later.

Or is there a solution to this dilemma?
[server does not know if client has javascript or not on first serve].

~Hans